Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Pork with Black Apple Rings


So this eating thing. I'm still a bad cook and subject my family to it with glee. The preface "It tastes better than it looks" raises eyebrows and makes me giggle a little inside.  It's a delight to know I'll never be asked to bring food to a potluck.  Yeah ONE LESS THING TO DO IN LIFE!
If it's required will I put forth the effort and like other posts here I take what I like since I'll be bring 95% of it home. WIN!

But here is one where this logic backfired on me.  And I'm so bummed that I don't have pics because it was a fail as usual.
A friend had knee surgery and helping out with meals was a treat...until I signed up.  And dammit dammit dammit I try new recipes when I have to take it to another person.
I have to back up and talk about my crock pot.  Last time I cooked in it I was met at the door from a hard hard day of labor to the smell of rotten food.  Hot rotten food.  Dear GOD? What?!
I lifted the lid fully expecting a compost pile but found nicely simmering chicken something or other.
G Dub could hardly get past the smell to eat it but I threatened the starving kids in China bit and a banshee scream about wastefulness - then we opened a window, went outside to the patio with a full bowl of chicken something or other.

I scrubbed the shit out of that crock pot being too cheap to buy another.  I took the thing apart to scrub it, cooked again and Damn if AGAIN I made a veggie dump in the kitchen.  Whatever, $30 later I'm armed with a clean vessel.

Back to my friend though, I had pork roast, I had a clean cooking vessel, I had a day to make it.
Pork and dried fruit basted with apple juice and cinnamon. Put it in, cook on low all day. Could I screw this up? Yes.

My ADD brain has to work all day to remember to take the food somewhere when I get home, I spend all day congratulating myself for getting my shit together and even having a transport foil bin to take it and look like I know what the hell I'm doing - Yeah me! I'm awesome!
I get home and that fucking crock pot has burned the fruit, all the liquid is gone, bottom of the roast is BLACK.  I'm not talking caramelization I mean black burned. BLACK BURNED!? My panic is mentally taking me to Sonic for chicken tenders while my rational mind works out how to fix this. Fast.

Pick out the fruit, try to find ones that ones look ok, scrape the roast, taste.....hmmmm, salvageable. Shit.  Roast corn on the cob, throw in rolls and off I go.  I deliver this with trepidation and preface my leaving with " Oh, by the way, it's burned all to shit"

All this to say that I got a thank you note a few weeks later with " OMG that was the best pork roast we've ever had!  Please give me the recipe!"
Well, I mentioned the slight caramelization in my reply. Hope it helped her get the great results she expects.
I wish I had taken pics

Just eat. If you love me, just eat.




No comments:

Post a Comment