Sunday, October 18, 2009

Apple Whatsits

Potlucks are a pain in the arse.  I usually love the company but I can never get a dish to be able to sit 2 hours and still look like you might want to venture a try.  It turns out looking more like something you would dare me to eat.  That's not good at a potluck - you waste a lot doing that.  No wonder why you almost always see the same tried and true vittles; you know, deviled eggs, pasta salad, green beans, pimento cheese sandwiches.  You can't really screw them up but, dang, they can be boring.

I've even tried a big pretty serving platter to hopefully hide my sunken, slightly dried up dish.  Very few fall for it and I wind up bringing back most of what I brought in - waste of money and time!  But I have to consider my audience too. I was once surrounded by the wonder of an avocado I was eating - what is this strange and unusual item you have??  No, really, I had to show and tell and avocado.  :-/

Tonight was potluck experiment #163 but the first ever documented.   I start by trying to use what was already in my pantry ( I've forgotten to mention that I don't like to spend a butt load of cash on something that's going to look like crap and gets snubbed at the table!). Ah, I find a jar of fried apples and crumbly stuff for the top that an aunt got me from the Apple Barn.  Great gesture but I won't ever eat it here at the house so I was just waiting for somewhere to take something made with these items.  Out comes the idea for a turnover type thingy.  I buy frozen pie crust because I'm definitely not making that and I'm on my way.

I just know you thaw the pie crust, put what you want in, fold it over and bake it.  What temperature?  Shoot, I don't know.  What shape?  What ever it turns out to be, I don't know.  I know what it's supposed to look like but I'm not delusional enough to think that I can turn out that product so I just treat it like play doh.

Here's what I made up:
1. Thaw pie crust on wax paper.  Try to fix cracks in pie crust by pushing back together but don't use too much water then it all just sticks together like the glue flour and water are.
2. Cut crust in half towards you and put some apples on it.
3. Fold over using wax paper underneath.  Fix cracks that are now on top of your "pie" - again not too much water!
4. Mash down along the edge to seal.  Try to make a pretty edge then add more crust to repair the jagged edge and even get a seal.  Pie crust is really pliable so just push around in it until it looks like a little turnover.

5. Thank the food gods for crumbly stuff for the top!  It hides all those extra cracks! Apply liberally



6.  Try the oven at 375.  Hopefully, this works. Always use a Silpat mat to avoid burnt bottoms!  Of the turnovers, silly.
7. Do not set a timer but do not start to do anything very far away - I think they were in there 20 minutes.
8. Wah-la!  you have a turnover!  Even if they do look like Horseshoe crabs.

Now EAT IT!

3 comments:

  1. jar of fried apples ? WTF ? It really exists ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe that it's been this long since I've looked at my comments?! I'm so glad you are here and yes, imagine what that jar looks like. Yuk.

      Delete
  2. BTW - can I claim to cook french food since the Silpat is made in France?

    ReplyDelete