Women have always ruled the kitchen. Our crown is a shiny mason jar top and we wave our family in to dinner with the slow wave of a Sweet Potato Queen.
But though we may wave with pageantry, the output is sometimes a little less than royal. That's my kitchen. I mean well and no one has died yet ( that I know of!) but my dinner presentations have a broad range of goodness. Very broad. But that just keeps life interesting, right? Ask that to the two that are continually subjected to these dishes. I call it broadening horizons.
Since my son was born I've cooked more than I have in 5 years! Why? Hormones, I guess. But no matter what the reason I'm in the kitchen and that's scary. Even worse, I'm armed with a cookbook. Danger danger! Let's begin with a little about my kitchen habits:
1. I NEVER follow a recipe to the letter. Ever.
2. I don't usually set a timer.
3. If a recipe has more than 7 ingredients, I just turn the page.
4. If an ingredient is at a store 1/2 mile away from where I normally shop I'll substitute with something in my narrow range - this is where the real variability comes in.
5. I can be ADD
6. If it's squishy or has juice I don't really want to touch it. Especially if it's chicken.
7. I'm cheap.
8. My tastes are expansive even if my cooking ability is not.
My mom eats what I call prefab food like the already cooked bacon, 100 calories packs of anything - that's kind of my idea of junk. Sorry Mom! :-) My dad cooks well now, albeit highly restricted, but I live far away and the influence in minimal. So, I'm challenged. I've never made a stock, a roux, an infused oil and oh well... so what.
Enjoy the blog as I fumble my way through healthy concoctions that usually tastes great despite their looks.
Cooking isn't about curb appeal - JUST EAT IT!
No comments:
Post a Comment